Get in touch with an experienced Morgantown motorcycle accident lawyer at Desai Law to help you after suffering the tragic consequences of a motorcycle accident.
Chirag Desai and his legal team offer a client-first approach that provides personalized representation and tailored legal strategies for your needs. Feel free to check out the testimonials of their Morgantown-based clients or read about their five-star reputation on Google.
With their delicate design and exhilarating freedom, motorcycles play a vital role in diversifying our transportation landscape. Their efficiency in navigating through traffic and providing an unmatched sense of adventure makes them an integral part of road culture.
However, the inherent hazards associated with their smaller size cannot be overlooked. Given their reduced visibility on the road, this type of vehicle can lead to severe consequences, often resulting in more extensive damage and increased risks for other motorists.
Victims can suffer bruises, fractures, head and neck injuries, spinal cord injuries, internal injuries, amputations, or even death. We understand the kind of technical skills and compassion that a motorcycle accident requires, and you can trust that we’ll deliver positive results.
Chirag and his team have won millions worth of settlements and jury verdicts, such as securing over $100,000 for a client who suffered a motorcycle wreck, sustaining soft tissue injuries and a concussion.
While we cannot guarantee a specific outcome for your lawsuit, Desai Law takes pride in its track record of success, even in numerous cases rejected by other lawyers in Morgantown and across West Virginia.
We are committed to vigorously pursuing justice for the “underdogs,” fearlessly taking on disputed claims and contested damages. Our approach is results-driven and dedicated to building the strongest case against those responsible for your injuries.
Why Hire Desai Law?
The strength and success of Desai Law come from the positive testimonials provided by satisfied clients in Morgantown. We aim to uphold outstanding service, empathy, and unwavering passion in every case we represent.
Chirag Desai leads the multi-awarded law firm, which earned the Client’s Choice Award in 2018 and 2019 from AVVO. His latest achievement is being acknowledged in the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list from 2020 until 2023.
- How Much Do We Charge: We strictly follow a “no fee, unless you win” arrangement, underscoring our commitment to accessible legal representation for everyone. Engaging our services carries no risk since there are no upfront costs. You will only be required to make a payment if we achieve a successful outcome on your behalf.
- Contact Us Now: Accidents happen unexpectedly, and we are dedicated to providing assistance during moments of crisis. Our team is available around the clock, seven days a week, ensuring we are here to answer your call whenever you need support.
- What Are Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
- What Are Recoverable Damages?
- When to Contact An Attorney
- Contact Desai Law
The Governor’s Highway Safety Administration (GHSA) has three classifications of motorcycles: street bikes, which include trikes; off-road bikes; and dual-purpose bikes. It includes scooters and mopeds in the street bike classification.
In a recent year, 39 people riding motorcycles in West Virginia lost their lives in motorcycle accidents. Of those, 14 did not wear a helmet.
(A quick note about helmets: West Virginia does require motorcyclists to wear them, although the lack of a helmet does not excuse another motorist’s negligent driving when it injures you. Even if you didn’t wear a helmet, don’t hesitate to call us for help with your motorcycle accident claim.)
Motorcyclists are rarely at fault for these accidents involving automobiles. In many cases, vehicle drivers simply do not see a motorcyclist.
However, other common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Unsafe lane changes by a vehicle.
- Speeding by another vehicle.
- Drivers operating under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other chemical substances.
- Distracted driving.
- Someone opens a car door into the path of a motorcycle.
- Left turn wrecks.
- Adverse road conditions, whether from weather or poor road maintenance.
- Inexperienced drivers.
- Defective parts or improper bike maintenance by a mechanic.
Motorcyclist Fatality Statistics
What Are Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
Common injuries can range from:
- Bumps, bruises, scratches, and cuts;
- Road rash;
- Strained muscles, sprained muscles, pulled or torn muscles; and other soft tissue injuries;
- Simple and compound fractures;
- Head, neck, and shoulder injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Back and spinal cord injuries;
- Internal injuries;
- Paralysis; and
Many of these injuries could lead to long-term or permanent disabilities. While the Social Security Administration defines a long-term injury as one that doctors expect to last longer than 12 months or to result in death, insurance companies may have their own definition of long-term injuries.
West Virginia allows you to potentially recover three types of damages following a motorcycle accident, including punitive damages. However, the court does not order the defendant to pay punitive damages in an attempt to make you whole, but instead as a punishment for the defendant. West Virginia does require a bifurcated trial process for punitive damages, and it limits the amount of punitive damages you can receive.
The court orders economic damages and non-economic damages, on the other hand, to make you whole again. While the money does not remove a long-term or permanent injury, nor does it bring back a loved one, it can nonetheless reduce financial stress so you can concentrate on recovering or mourning the loss of your loved one.
What Are Economic Damages?
Special damages, or economic damages, have a specific value, such as the cost of a procedure. Economic damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses.
- Past and future lost wages. Even if you can go back to work, but you cannot do the same work you did before the accident, you may get partial future lost wages for the difference in your earnings.
- Expenses for medical equipment, including ambulatory equipment, safety equipment, and accessibility upgrades to vehicles and homes.
- Replacement or repair of the destroyed or damaged property.
- Burial and funeral expenses.
What Are Non-Economic Damages?
General damages, or non-economic damages do not have specific price tags attached to them. The court usually orders general damages if doctors expect your injuries to cause long-term or permanent disabilities.
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Loss of use of a body part;
- Loss of use of a bodily function;
- Loss of companionship;
- Loss of consortium; and
- Wrongful death.
One of Morgantown’s top motorcycle accident law firms can help you pursue justice as you focus on your path to healing and rebuilding your life.
Our seasoned legal experts and trial attorney possess the skills to navigate West Virginia’s intricate legal system. Rest assured, we can fearlessly champion your cause, holding wrongdoers accountable with unwavering determination.
Moreover, we’ll stand against powerful insurance companies, ready to assert your rights in court. At Desai Law, you’ll find not only legal proficiency but also a commitment to our mission to fight for “the little guys.”
Desai Law, PLLC
449 Fortress Blvd
Morgantown, WV 26508